PDP Crisis: Supreme Court struck out Sheriff’s application against Makarfi’s appeal; PDP Crisis: Supreme Court reserves judgment; MASSOB anniversary march held in Onitsha; MASSOB anniversary march: Police arrest 137 pro-Biafra agitators in three states; Kano State House of Assembly withdraws charges against Emir Sanusi; NBC slams Gov. Al-Makura for demolishing private radio station; Court suspends proceedings on forfeiture of Patience Jonathan’s $5.7m . . .
The Supreme Court struck out an application by the National Chairman of the PDP, Ali Modu Sheriff (in its ruling read by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, saying that there is merit in the appeal and as such is deemed fit for hearing). Sheriff had asked the court not to hear the appeal of the Chairman of National Caretaker Committee of the party, Ahmed Makarfi. Makarfi had filed an appeal challenging the judgment of the Port Harcourt division of the appeal court which sacked his caretaker committee and affirmed Sheriff as chairman of the party. Sheriff had filed the application on March 21 arguing that the Makarfi faction was not recognized by the party and that he (Sheriff) as the legitimate chairman did not authorize anyone to file an appeal on behalf of the party.
The Supreme Court has reserved judgment in the appeal by Ahmed Makarfi against Ali Modu Sheriff over the PDP national chairmanship. The five-member panel of the apex court presided by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, said the new date will be communicated to parties.
The Ralph Uwazuruike-led (old) Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) was supposed to hold its anniversary march on Monday, all over the country. The match failed in many cities and towns. In Onitsha, Anambra state, the match was a success with commercial activities at a standstill as members marched through the streets with their Biafra-emblazoned flags.
The pro-Biafra matchers went round the Onitsha Owerri road, Old Market road, Nkpor New road and Enugu/Onitsha Expressway in the commercial city, chanting Biafran songs and praising Uwazuruike for reviving the Biafran struggle. The Onitsha celebration did not record any casualty and a combined team of security agencies paraded the streets to prevent a breakdown of law and order. May 22, 17 years ago, was the date Uwazuruike re-declared the New Biafra struggle.
It will be recalled that Uwazurike, founder of MASSOB, had been expelled from MASSOB in December 2015 by forces led by Uchenna Madu who claimed to be the new MASSOB leader.
Subsequently, Uwazurike renamed his MASSOB – Biafra Independent Movement (BIM). According to him, charlatans had hijacked MASSOB and deviated from the non-violent approach to the struggle. He accused Nnamdi Kanu of IPOB and director of Radio Biafra London of defrauding him in the Radio Biafra project.
Two rival (mutually exclusive) pro-Biafra movements held its May 22 pro-Biafra match on Monday. At least 137 pro-Biafra agitators were arrested by the police in Enugu, Ebonyi and Cross River states. The agitators, who are members of Chief Ralph Uwazurike’s Biafra Independent Movement (BIM) and the Movement for the Actualization of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), were arrested during their rallies in the states.
Reports say 41of them were arrested by the police in Enugu, 50 in Ebonyi, and 46 in Cross River. The rally was part of activities to mark the Biafra Remembrance Day.
The Kano state House of Assembly has terminated the probe into the alleged misappropriation of monies belonging to Kano emirate by the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II. The assembly said the termination was prompted by a letter written by Kano state governor, Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje requesting the house to halt the eight-count charge against the monarch. The Speaker of the house, Hon Kabiru Alhassan Rurum read the letter on the floor of the house on Monday.
The speaker said Ganduje’s appeal by inference came from the Northern Governors’ Forum, Acting president, Yemi Osinbajo, Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sahaad Abubakar, Senate President Bukola Saraki, Speaker of House of Representatives Hon. Yakubu Dogara, ex-Heads of state IBB and Abdulsalam and Aminu Dantata, among others.
The house after an extensive deliberation session passed a unanimous verdict approving the termination of the probe into the alleged infractions of the Emir. It will be recalled that the Kano state House of Assembly had set up an eight man committee to investigate the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II.
The committee was mandated to investigate the alleged involvement of the Emir in politics, unguarded utterances made against President Muhammad Buhari, the Buhari administration, misappropriation of Kano Emirate Council funds and sending his daughter Shahida Sanusi to represent him at the inaugural Chibok Girls’ Lecture held by the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) group on Friday April 14, 2017 without her dressing in full cultural regalia (photo: above).
The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) on Monday slammed the Nasarawa state government for demolishing the house where the pioneer private FM radio station in the state, Breeze 99 FM was operating from.
“We are sad that a radio frequency serving as a platform for the airing of views has been destroyed,” France Ayetan, NBC Zonal Director for North-Central, said sadly after inspecting the ruins in Lafia, the Nasarawa state capital. The building housing Breeze 99 FM was demolished on Saturday, barely two months after it commenced operations.
The Nasarawa State Urban Development Board (NUDB) accused the station’s management of failing to procure proper building approval. In a statement, the board’s managing director, Adamu Sule, claimed, inter alia: “We brought down the radio station because its structures did not comply with approved land laws. . .”.
A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos and presided by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, on Monday, suspended proceedings in the application seeking permanent forfeiture of $5.7million belonging to a former First Lady, Patience Jonathan – pending the outcome of an appeal by Mrs. Jonathan challenging the money’s temporary forfeiture. The EFCC had contended that the money was suspected to be “proceed of crime” – praying the court to order that the cash be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government. Justice Olatoregun ruled, inter alia: “. . . I will, therefore, adjourn this case until September 20.”