Igbo quit notice: Osinbajo meets Igbo leaders; Jonathan did nothing for Igbos – Amaechi; False Asset Declaration: CCT clears Saraki. . .
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo summoned a meeting with leaders of thought from the southeast at the Old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja. Osinbajo convened the meeting over the perennial agitation for Biafra and last week’s reaction by northern (Arewa) youths asking the Igbos to vacate the region by October 1.
In attendance were Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, the governors of Imo Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra States as, and other leaders from the southeast. Osinbajo was joined in the meeting by Senate President Bukola Saraki and House of Representatives Speaker Hon. Yakubu Dogara. Up till the time of publishing this report, the minutes of the meeting or the outcome remained unknown.
Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi, on Tuesday stated that Igbos benefitted nothing from former president, Goodluck Jonathan, even though they massively supported him in 2011.
At a forum in Lagos, Amaechi said, inter alia:
“ . . . President Jonathan went to Onitsha and danced and promised to construct Onitsha bridge. Right? After that nothing happened. Now we are fixing the bridge without making promise. Or did we promise to construct Onitsha bridge? I didn’t hear him (President Buhari) say he would construct Onitsha bridge during the campaign, except someone spoke on his behalf.
We are doing Port Harcourt-Enugu, the most important road to the Igbo. The next most important road to the Igbo is Enugu to Onitsha, and he (Buhari) is doing it again. So who is better? . . . The last man you people were dancing with at Onitsha bridge that promised you people that ‘Azikiwe commissioned this bridge and the second Azikiwe commissioned it again’ never put a stone. But the man who doesn’t talk at all; who didn’t make promise and he is doing it, which one do you prefer? . . . ”
The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on Wednesday cleared the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, of false asset declaration charges brought against him in September 2015. Saraki was slammed with a 13-count charge by the federal government shortly after his emergence as Senate president. In his ruling on the application, the CCT said the failure of the prosecution to present witnesses who were fully part of the alleged offence against the senate president, made their evidence “incurably defective”.
The CCT discharged Saraki for lack of evidence to continue with the case and dismissed all 18 charges filed against him by the Federal Government. The two-panel tribunal headed by Justice Danladi Umar held that FG failed to prove essential elements of all the allegations it leveled against Saraki. The CCT also held that no reasonable tribunal would convict a defendant on the evidence led by the prosecution through its four witnesses. The senate president and his supporters, including Sen. Dino Melaye and co jubilated shortly after the CCT Trial in Abuja.