Buhari sacks SGF & DG of NIA; FG to pay victims of Biafra civil war N88bn 47 years after; Buhari & Tinubu meet behind closed doors in Aso Rock; I’ve confidence in Buhari – Tinubu; Suicide bomber kills 5 in Maiduguri mosque; 2 suicide bombers strike in Adamawa; Maina Speaks From Hideout, Reveals He Is Still In Nigeria . . .
President Muhammadu Buhari has finally sacked the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Babachir Lawal and the Director General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ambassador Ayo Oke. Lawal has been replaced by Boss Mustapha. This was contained in a statement sent to Nigerian Eye, by Buhari’s Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.
A Senate Committee on Humanitarian Crisis in the North-East had earlier found the suspended former SGF culpable of alleged complicity in a N200million grass-cutting contract to clear “invasive plant species” in Yobe State. The statement reads, “President Muhammadu Buhari has studied the report of the panel headed by the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, which investigated allegations against the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Babachir David Lawal, and the Director General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ambassador Ayo Oke.
The Nigerian federal government on Monday agreed to pay victims of the Nigerian Civil War (Nigeria-Biafra War) N88 billion compensation for their loses, about 47 years after the war ended on a ‘No victor, no vanquish’ terms – as declared by the ex-military Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (Rtd.).
A breakdown of the compensation adopted by the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice as consent judgment for government and the victims showed that N50 billion will go direct to the victims of the war in eleven affected states in the South-east, South-south and part of North-central regions, while the remaining N38 billion will go for the evacuation of abandoned bombs and other lethal weapons and construction of schools, courts, churches and mosques among others in the affected areas.
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), the Jagaban, Ahmed Bola Tinubu, on Monday told journalists not to discuss the possibility of President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term with him. Tinubu was speaking to State House correspondents shortly after meeting behind closed doors with President Muhammadu Buhari inside the new Banquet Hall of the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja.
When asked whether he agreed with different groups and individuals calling on Buhari to seek re-election in 2019, Tinubu simply responded: “Don’t discuss that one with me.” The former governor of Lagos State, however, said the APC-led government was on course.
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), the Jagaban, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu on Monday said that his confidence in President Muhammadu Buhari has never been in doubt.
He also denied the alleged rift between him and the President. The former Lagos State Governor spoke with State House journalists after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. While stressing that the APC government is on course, he said that there are just few steps left to attain happiness and development of Nigeria.
Tinubu said, inter alia: “I just met with the President. Our discussion was fruitful, productive and it was about the country and leadership as a whole. And that got him excited and happy.” On the alleged crack in his relationship with the President and his alleged sidelining by the cabal, he said “Fake news. I have confidence in this President. There is no doubt about that. We worked hard to bring about the government, there are certain things that are unpredictable and those are things that can lean itself to gossips, insinuations and all of that.” “But once you create leadership and is functioning you don’t have to babysit that leadership unless there is a loss of confidence and I don’t have that.
Asked to speak on the different groups calling on the President to run, he said “Don’t discuss that one with me.”
At least five people were killed on Monday when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside a mosque in northeastern Nigeria, a militia member assisting the military against Boko Haram jihadists said. The leader of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) in Ajiri Yala, some 15 kilometres (10 miles) north of Maiduguri, said the attack happened at about 4:30 am (0330 GMT).
“A male suicide bomber disguised as a worshipper entered the mosque while people were gathering for the morning prayers,” he told AFP by telephone. “He detonated his explosives. He killed five people and injured several others.” Boko Haram typically never claims responsibility but has used suicide bombing as a frequent tactic in its eight-year insurgency to establish a hardline Islamic state Mosques that do not ascribe to its extremist views are seen as legitimate targets, as are people and places seen to be supportive of the secular government.
Two suspected female Boko Haram suicide bombers blew themselves up in what appears to be a failed mission at Magar village in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa state. Reports from witnesses in the area indicated that the two bombers who strapped improvised explosive devices on their bodies sneaked into the village in the early hours of Saturday but the explosives detonated before they could reach their targets. A woman was however injured in the blast.
The chairman of Madagali Local Government Area, Muhammad Yusuf, also confirmed the incident to journalists in a telephone interview He said there were two separate explosions while a woman was injured by shrapnel. He added that the injured woman was receiving medical attention.
The embattled former Chairman of the Presidential Taskforce on Pension Reforms, Abdulrasheed Maina, has finally broken his silence. Maina in a video already trending on social media, said he has not left Nigeria. The former pension boss said there’s no money missing anywhere, adding that he went into hiding because some people were trying to assassinate him.
Maina said he was not a thief and has not stolen anything rather, he has documents that would expose the real thieves. According to him, “We know where these monies are.” He called on Nigerians not to believe the rumours about him, saying that he never stole N195 billion and alleged that N300 million was being stolen every day. He thanked the TV station that granted him the interview.