NR 24/7 NEWS HEADLINES

news . NR headline news 3

Boko Haram finally speak on abducted 110 DapchiGirls; Supreme Court dismisses suit filed by Sambo Dasuki; EFCC Not Responsible for Dasuki Detention – Supreme Court; DapchiGirls: Boko Haram has contacted me – woman who facilitated release of Chibok girls; Boko Haram kills four UN aid workers, abduct one in Borno; State assemblies back devolution of power . . .

Boko Haram finally speak on abducted 110 DapchiGirls

Aisha Wakil, a human rights activist, better known as “Mama Boko Haram”, has claimed that the insurgent group have contacted her, confirming they have in their custody the abducted 110 Dapchi school girls. The Musab al-Barnawi faction of the sect, is suspected of being behind the kidnap of the students.

Boko Haram

Wakil was a member of the Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges in the Northern region, set up by former President Goodluck Jonathan. In an interview with NAN, she stated that the abductors confirmed to her that the girls were safe and in good condition. She said:

“They are even the ones that called me, and said Mama we heard what you have said and told me that they are with the girls and they are going to release them. I begged of them and said please let this not be another 1,000-plus days of Chibok girls, and they laughed and said no.

I asked them where I can come and stay with them (girls) for two days, but they did not say anything. I can assure Nigerians that so far they are with my son Habib and his friends; Habib is a nice guy, he is very nice boy. He will not harm them, he will not touch them, and he will not kill them.

He is going to listen to us, and so far he indicated interest that he loves peace. And I love them for that and believe what they said on this. They will definitely give us the girls. All I am begging Nigerians is to calm down, be prayerful, everything will be over in God grace.”

Supreme Court dismisses suit filed by Sambo Dasuki

Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf of the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama, Abuja, has adjourned further hearing in the 19 counts of criminal diversion of $2.1billion involving former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd), and others.

Sambo Dasuki & DSS

A statement from the EFCC revealed that the trial was adjourned till March 22, following Dasuki’s absence in court on Wednesday. Other defendants in the case include a former governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa, and his son, Sagir; former Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the NSA, Shuaibu Salisu; former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda, and Sagir’s firm, Dalhatu Investment.

The defendants were alleged to have conspired to divert $2.1billion which was part of funds earmarked for the purchase of arms to fight Boko Haram insurgency in the North East.

EFCC Not Responsible for Dasuki Detention – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has said that the detention of former National Security Adviser Colonel Sambo Dasuki was not at the instance of the EFCC that put him on trial. The Apex Court held that the bails granted Dasuki in respect of criminal charges brought against him by EFCC have been obeyed having being implemented by the Controller of Kuje Prison on December 29, 2015.

Sambo Dasuki 2

In a judgement in an appeal filed by Dasuki to challenge his continued detention and praying for suspension of his trial pending the time the bail orders were obeyed by government, Justice Ajembi Eko said that the EFCC cannot be held responsible for the continued detention of the Ex-NSA since the detention was carried out by the DSS. Justice Eko in the unanimous judgement, therefore said that since the bail order was implemented by the Prison Controller it has been obeyed as far as the charges against him at the FCT High Court was concerned.

The Apex Court said that from the claims and counter-claims of Dasuki and EFCC, it was clear that he Dasuki was rearrested at the premises of the Kuje Prison on December 29, 2015 by DSS. The Supreme Court therefore affirmed the decision of the Court of Appeal and the FCT High Court which had in their separate decisions held that EFCC cannot be held responsible for the detention of ex-NSA by DSS.

DapchiGirls: Boko Haram has contacted me – woman who facilitated release of Chibok girls

Aisha Wakil, a human rights activist, better known as “Mama Boko Haram”, says the abductors of Dapchi schoolgirls have contacted her.

The Musab al-Barnawi faction of the Boko Haram sect is suspected of being behind the kidnap of the 110 girls. In an interview with NAN, Wakil said the faction contacted her on Thursday to confirm that the girls were in its custody. Wakil was a member of the Dialogue and Peaceful Resolution of Security Challenges Committee in the northern region set up by former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Boko Haram . Human Rights Activist . Aisha Wakil, Mama Boko Haram

She added that the abductors confirmed to her that the girls were safe, healthy and in good condition. In an interview with PRNigeria earlier in the week, Wakil called on the abductors to release the girls to enable them to be reunited with their families. Wakil, who is said to have communication links with Boko Haram and respected by some leaders of the sect, declared that she was ready to sacrifice her life to rescue the girls.

Boko Haram kills four UN aid workers, abduct one in Borno

No fewer than four UN aid workers were killed in a Thursday night attack coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents at Rann community in Kala Balge Local Government of Borno State. A female aid worker was also missing while one other sustained injuries in the attack.

Boko Haram . new video. Oct. 7, 2015

Samantha Newport, Head of Communications, UNICEF Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), confirmed the incident to News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Maidguri. Newport said two of the deceased were personnel of UN client organisation, International Organisation of Migration ( IOM), deployed in Rann as camp managers.

She added that others killed were a medical doctor working as consultant with UNICEF and an aid worker with International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) affiliate organisation. The UNICEF communications head said a female nurse was abducted, while another female aid worker was injured in the attack.

State assemblies back devolution of power

The speakers of the houses of assembly are asking for the introduction of devolution of powers in the next round of constitution amendment. In 2017, the senate rejected a proposal for devolution of power. Speaking on Thursday when lawmakers from state assemblies visited the national assembly, Abdulmumin Kamba, chairman of the speakers of houses of assembly, appealed to the federal lawmakers to reconsider their decision on the devolution of power.

Lawmakers . State assemblies back devolution of power

Kamba, who is speaker of the Kebbi state house of assembly, returned the voting by states houses of assembly on the constitution amendment bill transmitted to them for assent by the national assembly, to Senate President Bukola Saraki and Yakubu Dogara.

Constitution amendments only become operative after they have been passed by at least 24 state houses of assembly and two-thirds of the national assembly. The state assemblies, however, rejected autonomy for local government.

Clauses approved by the state houses of Assembly include reduction of period for extra budgetary expenditure by the executive from six to three months , legislative immunity for lawmakers, new regulations governing conducts of bye elections by INEC, removal of the word “Force” from Nigeria Police, limiting the tenure of presidents and governors to eight years by not taking oath of office more than twice, reduction in age for elective offices, stipulation of date for budget presentation by the president, inclusion of Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps in the constitution among others.

© 2018 Niger Reporters & Co.™ | A news aggregation website

Comments are closed.