Saraki & CCT, Arms Scam & Generals, EFCC, Possible locations of Chibok girls, Supreme Court & Wike, Police on trail of Tompolo . . .
Trial of the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on 13 counts of false assets declaration is to resume March 10 before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
This followed a letter written on behalf of the Federal Government by the lead prosecuting counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), intimating the tribunal of the recent judgment of the Supreme Court validating the trial.
It was learnt that Jacobs sent the letter with a copy of the Supreme Court’s judgment attached to it to the Danladi Umar-led CCT on Monday.
THE Army headquarters on Thursday night confirmed that 12 Army officers including serving and retired have been sent to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for investigation.
The Army also said that at the end of the Commission’s investigations those found culpable will be court martialled.
A statement signed by Col Sani Usman, Acting Director, Army Public Relations said: “The Nigerian Army wishes to inform the public that 12 Army officers have been sent to the Economic and Financial Crime Commission for investigation.
“This comprised of three serving Major Generals, and one retired, three Brigadier Generals, four Colonels and one Lieutenant Colonel.
“However, it should be noted that at the end of the Commission’s investigations those found culpable will be tried by a military court martial.”
Col Usman, did not however, state in specific term what the officers are being investigated for.
President Muhammadu Buhari recently directed the EFCC to investigate top military officers including retired Service Chiefs for their involvement in arms procurement in the last administration.
The immediate past Chief of Defence Staff and Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh and Air Marshal Amosu respectively are among those being interrogated by the anti-graft agency.
Possible locations of the abducted Chibok school girls may have been identified by the Nigerian Air Force ,according to indications last night.
The Director of Public Relations of the Air Force, Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa, told Channels Television that the force has therefore abstained from attacking the identified areas to avoid hitting the girls.
The latest aerial bombardment of Sambisa forest,Famuyiwa said, had been aimed at the logistics base of the Boko Haram sect and not areas where the Chibok girls could be located.
He said:“We have no fears that the girls are not there because hat particular location has been under surveillance for quite a while and we suspected maybe it’s a kind of ammunition depot or maybe a workshop that they are using as their logistics place.
“Once you take off the logistics base, of course you gradually weaken the resolve of the enemy to be able to prosecute any campaign.”
Group Captain Famuyiwa said the military is deploying the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) to maximum use in its battle with Boko Haram because it is cheaper to run and reduces lives.
The UAVs,he said : “have the capability to be airborne for up to eleven hours and they are quite cheap to maintain. So, we have been able to employ the UAV to a great extent to carry out reconnaissance and surveillance basically for intelligence gathering on the activities of the Boko Haram.”
He said that the UAVs have also helped the Air Force to understand the terrorists’ pattern of movement and “how to be able to counter them should they want to strike or spring any surprise”.
The girls were abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School,Chibok,Borno State.
Watch Group Captain Ayodele Famuyiwa of the Nigerian Air Force, below:
The Supreme Court on Friday gave reasons for its January 27 judgment upholding the election of Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike.
The apex court said the decision was informed by its findings that the petitioners at the tribunal – the candidate of the All progressives Congress (APC) in the election, Dakuku Peterside and his party – failed to prove their case of malpractices and non-compliance as required.
A seven-man panel of the court, led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, held that the election petitions tribunal and Court of Appeal, which earlier voided the election, were wrong to have based their decisions on the petitioners claim that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials’ failed to adhere to the commission’s manual, guidelines and directives on the exclusive use of the card reader for accreditation and the hearsay evidence presented by the petitioners.
The court reiterated its position that card reader was not a sufficient replacement for manual accreditation. It further held non-compliance with INEC’s manual and guidelines by its officials in the conduct of election was not a sufficient ground to void the election.
The apex court also believed that Peterside and his party failed to discharge the burden of proof placed on them having listed alleged misconduct including violence, disenfranchisement and non-compliance with election guidelines.
The court held that the tribunal denied Wike and his party, the right to fair hearing by allowing a wrong panel to deliver ruling on an application they filed, challenging the competence of the petition.
Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, while giving reasons for the position she took in the lead judgment, held that it was wrong for Justice Suleiman Ambrosa, the later chairman of the tribunal, to have chaired the panel that delivered the ruling on the application by Wike and PDP when he was not the chairman when the application was argued.
Of the 11 issues considered in the appeal, Justice Kekere-Ekun resolved seven in favour of Wike and the PDP and four in favour of Peterside and APC who were listed as respondents in the appeal marked: SC/1002/2015.
The issues resolved in favour of Peterside and APC were those related to preliminary issues of service and locus standi.